Tuesday, August 4, 2009

my handy dandy husband!

Horray for my handy dandy husband :)  He gave me one of the best gifts ever...a kitchen island!  Over a year ago, we looked for islands and couldn't find anything we liked. So, we sat down and drafted our own custom design. Then, Jeff built it all by himself from birch wood.  

Here's a "before" picture...note: the huge, non-functional open space and very little counter space


Here's an "after shot"...check out all that new counter space, the eating area, and extra storage!


Here's a front view...we even put in custom glass in the doors...it's got a cool squigly pattern to it if you look closely.


Check out the inside of the island. On the left, Jeff made me a custom pan holder.  It's so much easier to get what I need now!  Now more pans falling on top of me while I try to get to the pan on the bottom of the stack :)  On the right, you have normal storage divided into two areas.


And, of course, no island would be complete without a hidden mickey on the inside of the door.  That's to let you know that it's a "Westover piece"...I know...otherwise, you might think we purchased this professional looking piece of furniture and made the whole story up!


And, if that wasn't enough, Jeff just installed a fan in our office.  What a talented husband I have!

1 comment:

Bright Eyes said...

YAAAAYYY!! this piece looks amazing - I LOVE the hidden mickey. :)