Ever since Jeff built the original swing set, he's always talked about adding a slide, fort, and glider swing. When we started looking at the cost to make all of those additions, it just made sense to go with the super cool playground kit at Sam's Club. So, off we embarked on a crazy adventure to build a giant swing set with about a million pieces! It took us about a month with all of the rain and with working around Jeff's schedule...but, we DID it! And, not only did we complete the swing set but we had a WONDERFUL time building it together!
We were the BEST team/lab partners in college and it was so fun to discover that 9 years later, we make a pretty awesome building team as well! Jeff built the entire bottom level of the swing set and I did the top half! It was my first time using power tools and it was super fun :)
And, of course, the girls LOOOOVE it! Laura wants to live out in the backyard now (we built her a two story house, after all) and I think Emily would be happy to join her!
Jeff and I are already joking about what crazy giant thing we can build next year... We just had too much fun!
Here's the completed project!
Here's the side-view, showing off the rock wall. You can also note that we did NOT add the roof. We actually started to but decided that we liked the feel of the "tree house" better, so we left it open. We positioned the swing set just right so that it's literally in the middle of a tree canopy. It's so beautiful and peaceful up there now!
If rock climbing isn't your thing, there's always the ladder.
This picture doesn't do it justice. Our whole yard was literally covered in about a million wooden pieces.
Goodness! That's a lot of bolts and screws! Finding what you were looking for was always a process!
Laura was a great help too! She would place the screws in the hole and then Daddy or Mommy would use the screwdriver!
Yep...that's me with a power tool! Since I was lighter, I was the one who built out the entire top floor!

"Come on in and play," say's Emily!
The glider swing is Laura's favorite. She spends at least an hour a day on it, I think!
Climbing the rock wall with grace!
The slide is crazy fast. You have to drag your feet on the sides to slow yourself down...lol! Here we are experimenting to see what a towel will do to the speed...
Now, who wants to come over and play?!
3 comments:
I want to play. That is a really perfect spot for it under that tree. Great job guys!
I really want to borrow some of the designs to add a climbing wall and ladder handrails in our backyard. The picnic bench and pass-thru kitchen is perfect for girls, too.
Me! I can't wait to see it when we come down later this month! ;)
Wow, I love the house...perfect for a little girl's imagination! I want to play on it.
Post a Comment