Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Spike


It is with a heavy heart that I am writing this today.  My sweet, precious cockatiel, my best little friend for 22 1/2 years, took his last breaths in my arms yesterday morning.  I found him in his last minutes of life and was blessed with the privilege of scratching his head and giving him warmth and comfort for 35 minutes before Jesus took him to Heaven. The skies are now filled with his sweet, wonderful music and I'm pretty sure he's gotten a few head-scratches already :)  

I still remember vividly walking into the pet store when I was 9 years old. There was this clear bin full of cockatiels, all very young, with half of their feathers still not grown in yet.  One cockatiel, in particular, went right to my finger and I knew I just HAD to have him. I raced home and emptied every last cent in my piggy bank.  I was sooo close to having enough, so I begged Stacy for $11, an investment that I think we both agree was well worth it!  From that point on, he was my best friend. There's not a childhood memory that doesn't have Spike in it.  He was never in his cage and always on my shoulder.  He played dress-up, watched t.v., ate at the dinner table on his own special tiny plate, and even studied late for exams with me in high school, college, and medical school.  I remember walking home from the bus stop in high school. I would literally sprint the last 100 yards and I would hear Spike peeping for me before I even opened the door of the house. I couldn't get to him fast enough so that we could whistle our song together and start "our day."  Spike was my "joy" and my "baby" before God blessed me with my precious girls.

In fact, before Laura was conceived, Spike became very sick and the vet didn't think he had but a few months to live.  I got on my knees and prayed to the Lord to restore his health. I asked with all my heart that he would at least put a child in my womb before he took my precious Spike bird. I couldn't bear the pain of his passing alone.  Not only did he answer my prayers with Laura, but he gave me Emily and 5 wonderful additional years that no-one thought he'd have.  This wasn't the first time the Lord had spared his life.  There was the time Spike flew away for a whole 24 hours and found his way HOME, something that rarely happens in the bird world.  There was the time that Stacy accidentallly jumped on Spike bottom, releasing all his tail feathers at once...he couldn't stand on his perch for a few weeks (for lack of balance) but he survived!  Then, there was the time that he jumped into our jacuzzi tub full of a chemical treatment....he was deep under water when I scooped him out but he hadn't swallowed any water. His eyes were swollen shut for 48 hours but his sight was restored and he was back to full health afterwards!  He was a miracle bird, to say the least.  And to make Spike's story even more wonderful, Laura got to develop a friendship with Spike, equally as loving as mine as a child.  She would carry Spike all around the house, scratch his head, and hold him so gently.  

Spike's passing was difficult on us all. Laura and I cried for hours and hours, pretty much almost ALL of yesterday.  But, we rejoice in God's goodness and his mercy.  22 1/2 years of my life and all 4 1/2 years of Laura's life were blessed with a wonderful, little feathered friend.  We had a very nice funeral for him and buried him in my parents yard, next to the waterfall.  He even had a casket. We used the wooden box I had made back in 7th grade wood shop class, 20 years ago.  We will miss you Spike but rest well knowing that you are sitting on Jesus' finger, no doubt singing your very best "do-do-doo" for him :)  We love you and will always remember you.


 Laura drew this picture of myself, Laura, and Spike. We placed it over Spike like a little blanket so that the angels can hang it in Spike's cage in Heaven.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about Spike! What a sweet post of memories, thanks for sharing them :)