Friday, October 9, 2009

Laura's First "Sick" Pediatrician Visit

Well, I suppose it was bound to happen some day...Laura made her first trip to the pediatrician's office and had to enter through the SICK door!  It all started on Tuesday afternoon when a "mystery rash" appeared on her legs...7 ovals/circles all over her calves.  They got progressively worse...turned much more red, were made of lots of little "bumps," and they became really indurated.  Of course, everything ran through my mind...did she have some wierd fungus? maybe poison ivy? maybe some strange bacteria?  it was definitely something horrible...definitely not a bug bite.  We watched it for all of Tuesday and Wednesday's, as the Dr. office recommended. Then, I had enough of waiting and brought her in.  It made me feel better when the medical resident shadowing the pediatrician couldn't identify the rash.  But, (and this is why I love my pediatrician), my pediatrician has been doing his job longer than I've been alive and smile gently and said he knew exactly what it was....BUG BITES!  Of course, the ONE thing I knew it was not!  So, $20 and an hour later, I walked out the door knowing my poor daughter had been bitten by some horrible, awful mean bug.  Who knows what kind of bug...Jeff and I are thinking a spider because she's been bitten by an ant before and it never looked like this! Poor little baby...I'm thinking it'll take at least 2-3 weeks to fully heal.  But, good news is that she hardly notices the giant whelps on her legs and she's been full of giggles and smiles all week :)  What a little trooper I've got!

1 comment:

Bright Eyes said...

aww! I got a spider bite on my leg the other week and it scared me too bc it got so big and red. I can't imagine having them alll over my legs. Laura Jo is such a trooper!! I don't blame you for wanting to be sure.